AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tennis ball

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tispasa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: tennis ball Reply with quote

Which goes farther, a baseball or a tennis ball when hit earnestly by a bat? Does a tennis ball absorb enough of the impact of the hit from a bat (wooden or metal) that it would not go as far as a baseball? That's my brother's argument, but my memories from childhood wants to convince me that a tennis ball would outdistance a baseball... or that maybe up to a certain point the tennis ball would outdistance the baseball, but after then the tennis ball would succumb to wind resistance? But my brother and his friend want to favor the baseball, regardless - something I'm quite reluctant to do... Thoughts?

Last edited by tispasa on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total
JulieR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a question for the MythBusters!

But actually, I would believe that a baseball could go further. I'm going on my knowledge of the difference between a softball and a regular baseball. I played in an annual game where they made us use a softball because they said it would be safer for everyone; i.e. we couldn't hit it as hard. So i think a softer ball will absorb some of the force and therefore some of the energy needed for the ball to fly.

Maybe there are some physicists out there who can answer this question?
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: experiment Reply with quote

This would make a fun science experiment. It is difficult to test by just swinging the bat and hitting the ball because it is hard to hit it with the exact same force each time. Instead make a stand so the bat is on a hinge. That way you can test it with the force of gravity. When you let go, bat swings down and hits the ball. You measure the distance the ball rolls. I have seen this done to compare different brands of golf balls.

I don't think a baseball player could hit a tennis ball out of the ball park, so my vote is that the baseball will go further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: