AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Reader Question re: Harlequin e-books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kim76

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: E-Reader Question re: Harlequin e-books Reply with quote

Hi all,
Contemplating an e-reader purchase (and it's a big deal since I'm a rare book librarian and have resisted this for so long!). However, I'm finally realizing that I'm missing out on some great romance e-books and some great deals, too (like the Heyer one).

I know you can get Harlequin e-books through Amazon, but what about the free e-novellas that Harlequin offers, are they compatible with the Kindle and can you even get them on the Amazon site or only directly from eharlequin.com? I'm thinking about Anne Stuart's The Wicked House of Rohan and prequels like that.

Any help is appreciated. And please feel free to recommend the best e-readers for romance readers in terms of compatibility with e-publishers, etc.

Thanks,
Kim
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ebook from them a few years ago and couldn't figure out how to get it on my iphone. I called their customer service number and was told that it couldn't be downloaded onto my iphone. They refunded my money.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlequin switched earlier this year from multiple formats to epub only.
I have a Sony Reader, which reads epub and several other formats.
I get several Harlequin releases each month directly from them:
http://www.eharlequin.com/
On the above site, use the Ebook Store drop list near the top of the page to get to the ebook section. Most new releases are available a month before the street dates, but a few lines like HQN and Luna only show up on the street dates.
I also sometimes buy here:
http://www.booksonboard.com/
This is an ebook-only offshoot of Harlequin:
http://ebooks.carinapress.com/
This is the store for the Sony Reader:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/index.html
All Harlequin ebook releases are also available here, but not until the official release dates. I find it easier to search for backlist ebooks here than on the Harlequin site. For new releases, the Sony & Harlequin site prices are the same on some lines and better at Harlequin for others.
Kobo is also worth checking out if you get an epub reader, though they still didn't have a proper estore the last time I bought something a few weeks ago. (No cart, just buy one book at a time.)
http://www.kobobooks.com/
Harlequin ebooks are available at many other sites--the above are just a few of the ones I am most familiar with. If you are buying backlist ebooks, be careful to check format. Ebooks created before the recent switch to all epub may be in locked PDF format or a couple other less accessible formats.
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most free/sale ebooks wind up offered in epub format as well as mobi (Kindle.) It sometimes takes a day or two to catch up.

Having an epub reader (which is most other than the Kindle) also has the benefit of being able to download library books. Kindle is supposed to start working with library books, but I'll believe it when I see it.

BTW, you can take advantage of the Heyer sale now -- just make sure you download Adobe Digital Editions first and purchase the format that works with whatever ereader you expect to buy. You can download the books and then put them on your ereader whenever you get it. You will need to set up your ereader account with the same info you give ADE.
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: E-Reader Question re: Harlequin e-books Reply with quote

I am so glad you asked this question. I have been reading epub format library books on my ipad. Now I see Harlequin has an Ipad app so I hope this means I can download the Harlequin freebies onto my Ipad?

I have a Kindle also, but I don't think the weekly Harlequin freebies are available on Amazon. I could be mistaken on this. Last year they released 13 Harlequins for free in celebration of an anniversary and most of them are quite good. Those are available on Amazon for free.

I like the Kindle because of its size and weight, I like the Ipad because of all the different things we can use it for.

kim76 wrote:

I know you can get Harlequin e-books through Amazon, but what about the free e-novellas that Harlequin offers, are they compatible with the Kindle and can you even get them on the Amazon site or only directly from eharlequin.com?

Update: I am able to read the freebie on the ipad using the Harlequin app but the freebie is not downloadable. The Harlequin app is easy to use.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded HQ onto my iPad. The only thing that bothered me was having to scroll to the bottom of the page because the whole page didn't automatically fit on the screen.

Now I've got to run over to HQ's site to look at this iPad app. Whee!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: