Up in Smoke
Grade : B

Kate Meader's books have been on my radar since her Hot in the Kitchen series debuted in 2013.  That was followed by her Hot in Chicago series (Playing with Fire, a scorching enemies to lovers romance remains a favourite and made my top ten list in 2015).  Since then she's delved into some hockey romances and a few other contemporary series but I'm delighted that she's gone back to the firefighting world she created in Hot in Chicago with her new spinoff series Hot in Chicago Rookies. Up in Smoke is a workplace romance set at Engine 6 in Chicago that introduces a new cast of characters while pleasing longtime fans with a glimpse of what the Dempseys of the original series have been up to.

After four years as a paramedic, Abby Sullivan has just finished her first six months at the Chicago Fire Department's training academy, ready to go on assignment as a candidate at Engine 6, the fire station her mother was stationed at when she died in the line of duty. Abby's dad is the fire commissioner. He's not keen on Abby's decision to follow in her parents' footsteps and has given her a hard time over her choice. But Abby knows this is the right thing for her to do.

On the night before her assignment is to start, she celebrates with her friends, then decides to wind down with some cherry pie at her favorite local diner. As luck would have it, the last piece of pie has been spoken for by a tall, handsome stranger. Some small talk ensues, the piece of pie is shared and a spark is ignited. While some restraint is shown (they kiss but don't take it any further), they exchange numbers ('Diner Dude' and 'Cherry Pie') and things look hopeful for this meet-cute couple. Except, wouldn't you know it, when Abby arrives at the station for her first day, her Lieutenant is none other than 'Diner Dude', a.k.a Roman Rossi. Dreams dashed, Abby and Roman are determined to put the kiss behind them, put out that spark and go on about their daily lives as Abby learns the ropes at Engine 6. In close proximity though, it's not so easy. Will their choices lead to a future together or career disaster?

The set up for this one is fairly common, but the difference is that Abby and Roman don't sleep together before she finds out that he’s her boss. Roman is a divorced single dad with full custody of his daughter Lena. He has a close relationship with his sister, Chiara, and he transferred to Chicago from New York after his wife had an affair with one of his firefighter crew (ouch). He hasn't even thought about dating again until meeting Abby, and knowing that she's off limits just bites.  Roman and Abby discuss whether they should report their previous encounter to the higher-ups but since nothing really happened (and the fallout for Abby as the fire commissioner's daughter would definitely be worse for her) they choose to put it behind them. Naturally this is easier said than done.  Eventually they decide that a 'just sex, it doesn't have to mean anything' affair, one that Abby offers and that Roman can't resist, ensues. It's hot and steamy and full of forbidden desire and guilt, and suddenly Abby realizes just how hard it was for her dad watching her mom go into dangerous situations because her 'just sex' affair is coming dangerously close to resulting in 'feelings' (and the same goes for Roman).

I have mixed feelings about Roman and Abby’s decision to sleep together. Yes, it’s mutual, but I still have that niggling feeling that the position of authority Roman is in at Engine 6 means he should have resisted, at least until figuring out a way to move her under a different command structure where they wouldn't be boss/employee. Of course, this is the conflict that always comes up in these situations but here, a relationship could have real life-or-death consequences, when decisions might be second guessed or made for emotional reasons.

As for the rest of the story, there are many things I enjoyed that still make me glad to have read the book. Roman is a caring father and it shows in his relationship with his daughter. Abby becomes a friend to Lena and is able to provide support and advice to Roman in that relationship. Abby and her father work through some of their relationship problems, and while the loss of Abby's mother is a significant part of the story because of how it's impacted her life, it doesn't overwhelm the plot. The cameos played by the Dempsey foster siblings are a treat for fans of the original series. Gage is the cook at Engine 6, Luke is another Lieutenant at the station, and Alex is on maternity leave but leaves Abby a heartfelt letter of welcome and solidarity as the other woman firefighter on their crew. Seeing these familiar characters makes me want to reread that series.

Since this is a book featuring an active firehouse, there are some fire scenes that are pretty intense interspersed with the downtime of the crew and general life on and off duty. The story flows well, the romance heats up just like the action in the second half, and once the secret of their affair is out, Abby and Roman have to cope with the fallout. It all leads to a satisfying conclusion, a happy ending for the couple, and the introduction of a few new characters whom I expect to see in the ensuing Rookie books. It's a good start and will please fans of the author and new readers who like the firefighting story plot.  Do yourself a favour though, and read the Hot in Chicago series if you haven't done so already – it's well worth it.

Buy it at: Amazon, Audible or your local independent retailer

Visit our Amazon Storefront

Reviewed by Maria Rose
Grade : B

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : April 16, 2022

Publication Date: 02/2022

Recent Comments …

1. So I glanced through this, and it looks like Sarah became pregnant because she had the flu and couldn’t take…

Maria Rose

I'm a biochemist and a married mother of two. Reading has been my hobby since grade school, and I've been a fan of the romance genre since I was a teenager. Sharing my love of good books by writing reviews is a recent passion of mine, but one which is richly rewarding.
Subscribe
Notify of

6 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x