AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So You Think You Can Dance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
It's been hinted at in an interview with Alex that he may be one of the all stars, or may choreograph a number!

Hope, hope hope! Smile
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised by last nights results. I didn't see that coming. But I was glad as we get to see them all for one more week.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
I was surprised by last nights results. I didn't see that coming. But I was glad as we get to see them all for one more week.

I think it's really smart to let them have a free week so that "America" can have more time getting to know the dancers before they settle on their favorites. Especially since to a large extent, the favoritism is influenced by the dance (choreography/styling), and the dancers themselves don't have any control over that.

But two couples going home next week will be tough!
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about last night--I am glad they are letting the dancers have another chance to show their talent and let the viewers get to know them, but four people are going to go next week--it's going to be even more painful!

As far as the routines go--there was not one that really stood out to me as a wow but I did like Tadd from the Afro Jazz number, I liked Sasha (was not crazy about the angry Travis Wall contemp routine, though), and I loved Mitchell's solo number--very glad they kept him on and hope he's healed up next week.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m glad they did it that way too. Since Mitchell was hurt and couldn’t dance, it wouldn’t have been really fair to vote for him. On the same hand it wouldn’t have been fair for us not to see what he can do with a partner. The same thing happened last season on the Canadian addition. One of the female dancers was hurt so her partner had to dance with someone else and he was the one sent home. It struck me as very unfair. I wish they would change their minds and extend it a week and only send one couple home 

All in all I’m very glad we get to see them all again. And lets face it – the show had a bit of a disadvantage completing against the final game of the Stanley Cup final game – heh heh heh

The stand out number for me last night was the Statue Dance. I just found it beautiful.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the "statue" dance. I think that girl Melanie -- is that her name? -- is my favorite this season.

Hok and Jamie's "Hummingbird and Flower" routine from several years ago remains my all-time favorite and the most memorable. It was just gorgeous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWdIwCGjbE
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

Hok and Jamie's "Hummingbird and Flower" routine from several years ago remains my all-time favorite and the most memorable. It was just gorgeous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWdIwCGjbE

I loved that one too--we got to go to a taping that season and met Jamie and Hok--they had been eliminated at that point and were hanging out in the audience. Very nice, both of them. I miss Wade Robson's routines so much--it seems like everyone else just tries to imitate him--he's a creative genius.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we got to go to a taping that season and met Jamie and Hok--they had been eliminated at that point and were hanging out in the audience. Very nice, both of them.

One of the reasons I like this show so much is because it really doesn't focus on a lot of drama. The kids are portrayed as genuinely nice, talented kids who are all very friendly with one another. It's very refreshing and positive -- especially compared to all the catty drama that comes out of shows like America's Next Top Model.

(Besides that, I think it's the most amazing talent show out there. American Idol has the singers sing different genres, but come on...it's not like they're singing country one night and OPERA the next. How much "skill" and discipline goes into singing The Beatles one week and Burt Bachrach the next? But with SYTYCD, they take a kid who is a hip-hop dancer exclusively and expect him to learn a paso doble! That's a whole different skillset -- different steps, different technique. And yet these kids manage it! So the talent that these contestants display just blows my mind.)
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much "skill" and discipline goes into singing The Beatles one week and Burt Bachrach the next? But with SYTYCD, they take a kid who is a hip-hop dancer exclusively and expect him to learn a paso doble! That's a whole different skillset -- different steps, different technique. And yet these kids manage it! So the talent that these contestants display just blows my mind.)

And not only that, but also many of them learn not only a totally new style but also how to dance with a partner. I'm terrible with names but I'm pretty sure they asked one of the hip hop dancer (who I think ended up being one of the bottom ones) if he had ever partnered someone before and they were truly amazed at his talent when he said no, it was a first for him.

So, yep - my very favourite 'reality' show too.
merryweather

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

One of the reasons I like this show so much is because it really doesn't focus on a lot of drama.

Except the injuries! Crying or Very sad That's one aspect you don't see on a singing show. I think about Alex a lot--he gave up a good career to be on the show and now I wonder if he will ever be back to what he was. I guess being dancers they have a risk of injury every time they dance--like any athlete. But I know they push very hard on the show because things move so quickly. I'm surprised more don't fall by the wayside.

But otherwise, yes--I do love to see all the positivity and love the dancers show for each other. Refreshing.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
And not only that, but also many of them learn not only a totally new style but also how to dance with a partner. I'm terrible with names but I'm pretty sure they asked one of the hip hop dancer (who I think ended up being one of the bottom ones) if he had ever partnered someone before and they were truly amazed at his talent when he said no, it was a first for him.

That was Wadi. I don't remember his partner's name, but they were supposed to be demons escaping from Pandora's box. Mary Murphy rightly praised his partnering skills. That pair wasn't in the bottom three.

I think that one of the reasons that the judges delayed the eliminations until next week is that too many of their favorites were in the bottom three. Also, many of the contestants were given their own style--Jess had broadway, Iveta had quick step, most of the contemporary dancers had contemporary--and all nineteen danced fantastically well.

Kay
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got caught up with the show on DVR, I'm glad no one went home yet! Nigel is right, we need to see more of them. My favorite dance was the one where Robert had to step in though, I forget the girl's name but I couldn't take my eyes off them.

I loved the dance to Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone, but I too wondered why she was so happy? Is it because she's the sunshine? LOL Not her fault though, it sounds like she was asked to do the smiling, she just may be my favorite this year.

What was the dance where Nigel said the guy outdanced the girl? I felt the opposite, I had my eyes on her the whole time.

It will take me a few eps to remember the names.
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to catch up with my DVR on the eliminations from this week, but I saw this on the news:

Quote:
Nigel gives us an update on Alex Wong. Good news! He was chosen to be an All-Star! But then, bad news. Auditioning for another show, he did the same move that snapped the tendon on his right foot – and promptly snapped the tendon on his left foot. I would think he might not want to do that move ever, ever again. Anyway, he’s off the show and faces another year of rehab. I’m worried he’s going to say screw it and become an accountant. This is so unspeakably sad.

I can't even believe it. So awful.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
I need to catch up with my DVR on the eliminations from this week, but I saw this on the news:

Quote:
Nigel gives us an update on Alex Wong. Good news! He was chosen to be an All-Star! But then, bad news. Auditioning for another show, he did the same move that snapped the tendon on his right foot – and promptly snapped the tendon on his left foot. I would think he might not want to do that move ever, ever again. Anyway, he’s off the show and faces another year of rehab. I’m worried he’s going to say screw it and become an accountant. This is so unspeakably sad.

I can't even believe it. So awful.

I know I heard that, it's awful! So disappointing, I really wanted to see him.

I heard that Chelsea Hightower will be an all star this year.

I hated seeing Ryan go home this week, she was one of my favorites.

Linda
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with the top ten--my favorites are Jess (though he is such a little guy it's awkward seeing him dance with the taller girls) and Sasha and Melanie. I'm still getting to know the dancers--it seems like only a few are sticking with me this season. I'm looking forward to getting the all stars back in the routines. I miss Twitch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: