AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charities, GAH!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Charities, GAH! Reply with quote

Please indulge me in my teeny-weeny little rant.

I hate it that I send money to one charity and then I get flooded with mailings from tons of other charities. Worse, whichever charity I send a check to will keep sending me more requests for donation, weekly it seems like. Do they think I'm rich?

Why, why do they do that? Are they trying to turn people off by annoying them to death? Not to mention the wasteful spending in sending out little trinkets and whatnot.

Gah!!!!!!!!!!!

I've decided I'm not donating anymore, except for catastrophic events. Sad

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way. I make annual donations as I am able to afford and it galls me that they use so much of my donation in postage and printing to ask for more! One of the worst offenders is my local NPR station. They set up the donation levels as annual memberships then 3 months later send another letter asking for more.

I'm thinking of mailing anonymous money orders just to put an end to it.
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. I sent a donation to March of Dimes, and they are constantly sending me mailings with address labels or dimes in them... I'm pretty sure they've spent everything I've sent them on trying to get more out of me.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. That's why I usually give cash at work for any charities we support.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to do cash as well. I also tend to tip really well because I know where the money is going when I give a good tip to the Bangladeshi cab driver or the Filapina waitress and none of it goes to administrative costs. But that's not as good an option when you are in the US.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten on a few mailing lists as well. I try not to let it guilt me, though. If I feel like sending a few bucks, I do. If not, well...it's not like I ASKED them to send me those fancy address labels!!
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
I've gotten on a few mailing lists as well. I try not to let it guilt me, though. If I feel like sending a few bucks, I do. If not, well...it's not like I ASKED them to send me those fancy address labels!!

Pretty much my attitude. I laugh about being put on another mailing list. What's different about that list compared to the clothing or gadgets catalogs list you're on because of a purchase someplace else? It's very easy to discard either kind of mailing if not interested. Just open your mail near a wastebasket as is recommended. I do; and the mail is quickly sorted. Laughing
bookmark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Pretty much my attitude. I laugh about being put on another mailing list. What's different about that list compared to the clothing or gadgets catalogs list you're on because of a purchase someplace else? It's very easy to discard either kind of mailing if not interested. Just open your mail near a wastebasket as is recommended. I do; and the mail is quickly sorted. Laughing

Donation requests are not the same as clothing or catalog mailings to me because unfortunately, the former makes me a little guilty Sad so I have to harden my heart. I'm not catholic, but darn, I might as well have been one because it's so easy for me to feel guilty about things. Well, I am assuming that guilt plays a big part with Catholics. Alas, I could be wrong, as I am about so many things.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no mailing list in the world that can guilt me the way the ASPCA's commercials featuring Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" can! All those suffering animals with their pleading eyes.... I have to change the channel or walk out of the room. Gah!
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like the Salvation Army. At Christmas I can drop a twenty in the little red tin outside of Walmart and walk away.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
There's no mailing list in the world that can guilt me the way the ASPCA's commercials featuring Sarah McLachlan's song "Angel" can! All those suffering animals with their pleading eyes.... I have to change the channel or walk out of the room. Gah!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Yep, makes you want to adopt every single animal in the commercial.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

I love animals with all my heart, but I change the channel. I just can't watch it. I pick and choose where to give...where to help. As for help for animals, I shop at Petsmart for dog and cat food and donate a couple dollars to various shelters in the area every time I shop there. I do what I can.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Exactly. I sort the mail in the kitchen next to the garbage and just toss unopened the ads and requests for money from political/charitable organizations. I know that one source of income for these groups is the sale of their mailing lists, so I understand why when I give to Charity A I soon get a letter from Charity B.

What I find harder to turn down are the phone calls. I truly feel for the person at the other end of the line, as I know they have a job where they probably get cursed at, hung up on, and generally face a lot of rudeness each day. I usually decline to donate, but sometimes -- if it's a cause I support -- I wind up donating whereas the letter received just the other day from the same organization got tossed immediately. My sister, who works for the Humane Society, says that data support that: the return on mail is pretty low (although obviously something or they wouldn't send it) but the expense is relatively low. The return on phone calls is higher, but the corresponding expense is higher too.

P.S. I very, very rarely give cash (except for the Salvation Army). I have a cousin who worked for a charity that brought in a lot of cash and he said too much of it disappeared. Checks are safer and easier to track for tax purposes.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
[

What I find harder to turn down are the phone calls. I truly feel for the person at the other end of the line, as I know they have a job where they .

This is one of the reasons we don't have a landline anymore. We only have our cell phones. Too many calls for carpet cleaning, house cleaning, chimney cleaning, donations to whatever charity...blah, blah, blah. I thought I would miss it, but not once I have wanted that line back.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

This is one of the reasons we don't have a landline anymore. We only have our cell phones. Too many calls for carpet cleaning, house cleaning, chimney cleaning, donations to whatever charity...blah, blah, blah. I thought I would miss it, but not once I have wanted that line back.

We're on the FTC "Do Not Call" list, so we don't get any more of the calls from commercial organizations trying to sell us something. Charities and political organizations are exempt, however, so those calls still come through, although not so many that we've given up the landline yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: