AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Game of Thrones - tell me about it - show and book.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iluvarake



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 799

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Game of Thrones - tell me about it - show and book. Reply with quote

Are they really good? I've heard there is a lot of rape and sexual violence in the books - is it important to the story? Is it bearable? Is the whole series of novels good or do you think it's losing steam? Do you like the adaptation on HBO?

I just don't know if I want to delve into it or not.
_________________
Justin managed to look superior and bored and disbelieving all at once. No mean feat for a man who'd just fallen from a tree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Wan AAR



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 405
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first book three or four years ago, because I'd heard a lot about the series. My judgment at the time was that the story was intricately plotted, the characters complex, the concepts thoughtful, and the world-building incredibly imaginative. And the series in general, probably addictive and well worth the wait - Book 5 is coming out very soon.

I use the word "probably", however, because I didn't read on in the series, and it was a conscious decision because it was way, way, waaaaaaaay too depressing. I think there was another thread here where I asked whether the books lightened up, and the general consensus seemed to be no. (But there's a light at the end of the tunnel.)

The violence isn't gratuitous, if I remember correctly. It's sort of like ancient mythology - the violence is integral to the story and reflective of the time. You just have to make accept it. I'd say read the first...two hundred pages? Ish? And go from there.

And for what it's worth, I work at a bookstore; the Game of Thrones series is a staff pick for three of my colleagues, and every Thursday or Friday becomes Game of Thrones day. They make the series sound good - but still depressing.

Hope that helps.
_________________
Jean AAR
Reviews Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am loving both the series and the books as the plots are intricate and all of the characters (even the most villanous) have their own histories and reasons for being that way.

The stories do have a lot of violence in them, but as the books are set in fictional land very similar to medieval europe (if there really had been dragons, magic etc.) it's not just for the sake of violence. These people are living in hard times where the strongest leader wins the throne through battles not democracy.

There are a number of mysteries scattered through the books (I have my own theories about some of them) that George R.R. Martin has yet to reveal and you never know what twists and turns are coming.

It is an epic, not a romance, so bad things happen and characters you grow attached to can die or suffer. The good do not always prevail (like in Tolkien) and oftentimes a good deed is punished rather than rewarded (like real life) so the books are very suspenseful.

I think they are brilliant but if you are not interested in a gritty read, don't like the politics of war, and don't want to commit to seven books (two of which haven't been written yet) and trust the author will bring it home in the end it, may not be the series for you.

I would say try a few episodes of the series if you have HBO- as they did a spectacular job of realising Martin's vision (with his help and input) and you will be able to tell pretty quickly if it is for you.

Christine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebe



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 823
Location: Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read the books, but I wanted to give the series a try b/c of the Sean Bean Factor Wink . I'm hooked. Line and sinker. Love Jon Snow, love him. The entire cast is awesome, but those child actors continue to amaze me.
_________________
Why put off til tomorrow what you can put off until next week?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maryskl



Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 352
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the books and cannot wait for the next one to come out next month. I am impressed with the series. My only quibble is Catelyn Stark. She does NOT fit my image of her from the books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Charlotte McClain



Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 396
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read the books, but I did get totally hooked on the series. The sex is pretty graphic, but I don't recall anyone getting raped. There's a lot of violence too, and the incest is a a little bothersome. If you don't mind a lot of grittiness and do like a very epic story, I think you'll enjoy it.
_________________
Angsty romance with scattered humor.
My Faux Website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryskl said
Quote:
I love the books and cannot wait for the next one to come out next month. I am impressed with the series. My only quibble is Catelyn Stark. She does NOT fit my image of her from the books.


Yes! I always pictured her as being very beautiful as several people were in love with her and Sansa is supposed to look just like her and be very beautiful.

Originally Jennifer Ehle was cast (Elizabeth Bennett from P&P with Colin Firth) and I was excited to see her in the role but they replaced her either right before filming began or right after for what reason I don't know.

The actress playing her now is very talented but she wasn't my idea of Catelyn either. Everyone else is great though. Even people whose looks don't exactly match the books like Syrio have still worked for me. I find myself picturing him like the actor now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kristie(J)



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1125
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the books but I'm totally hooked on the series to the point I almost start vibrating come 8:55 on Sunday nights Smile

I also follow along on Twitter during the telecast and I was quite amused at the outrage at the end of the episode on Sunday. I won't give it away so as to give spoilers, but it was a shocker for many who haven't read the books and they very clearly expressed their outrage. I have learned through experience to try not to get too attached to any character especially in a dark series like this one where no one should be considered safe.

I've been trying to explain it to the people at work and interestingly (and almost annoyingly) they deem it pornography when I say the violence and sexual aspects are quite graphic at times. Instead I've been trying to say that no, it's gritty and explicit and beautifully filmed. I think next week is the final episode for this particular group though I have heard that they will be filming following books in the series.

I'm not sure I'll read the books. I looked at them at the book store and they are - well lets say weighty! I had the same kind of reaction as too when I saw The Outlander - 'man that's going to take a lot of reading!'

From what I've seen on Twitter, the series if following pretty close to the books, though because of the length of the books some things they just aren't able to include.

I think the real scene stealer of the series though is the character of Tryion. My jaw is constantly dropping when he's in the scene thinking I can't believe he just said that *laughing*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CD



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
I haven't read the books but I'm totally hooked on the series to the point I almost start vibrating come 8:55 on Sunday nights Smile

I also follow along on Twitter during the telecast and I was quite amused at the outrage at the end of the episode on Sunday. I won't give it away so as to give spoilers, but it was a shocker for many who haven't read the books and they very clearly expressed their outrage. I have learned through experience to try not to get too attached to any character especially in a dark series like this one where no one should be considered safe.

I've been trying to explain it to the people at work and interestingly (and almost annoyingly) they deem it pornography when I say the violence and sexual aspects are quite graphic at times. Instead I've been trying to say that no, it's gritty and explicit and beautifully filmed. I think next week is the final episode for this particular group though I have heard that they will be filming following books in the series.

I'm not sure I'll read the books. I looked at them at the book store and they are - well lets say weighty! I had the same kind of reaction as too when I saw The Outlander - 'man that's going to take a lot of reading!'

From what I've seen on Twitter, the series if following pretty close to the books, though because of the length of the books some things they just aren't able to include.

I think the real scene stealer of the series though is the character of Tryion. My jaw is constantly dropping when he's in the scene thinking I can't believe he just said that *laughing*



LOL!! Tyrion is everyone's favourite character - it says something when a bitter, cynical, sex-mad dwarf is the series' moral compass Wink... Peter Dinklage is rather too good-looking but he must have been over the moon with that role.

However, I would read the books. They are crack. Complete utter crack so you hardly realise how thick they are once you get started. Also, as good as the TV series it, it doesn't capture just how amazing the books are. Also, you get to find out what happens next Wink.

I still haven't bloody seen the last few episodes as I can't get Sky in my block of flats (stupid listed building crap), and my torrent thing is not working - grrrrr... However, I'm impressed that people in this day and age have managed to avoid the spoilers and get shocked at what happened in the last episode! The fact that Ned was played by Sean Bean is already a big spoiler in itself to my mind judging by his film history. BTW, keep your attitude on never getting too attached to any character in this series. Especially if they're likable...
_________________
"Socialism to help sick people - bad.
Socialism to help billionaires - good."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Claire



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 1309
Location: around Atlanta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nights episode. I can't say anything about it because its too huge but it was awesome. It's the next to the last epi of the season and all I can say is wow. I've never read the books so its all new to me. Anyone else see it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire said
Quote:

Last nights episode. I can't say anything about it because its too huge but it was awesome. It's the next to the last epi of the season and all I can say is wow. I've never read the books so its all new to me. Anyone else see it?


Yes, and I agree it was phenomenal. It was incredibly faithful to the book yet managed be be even more dramatic and riveting IMHO. (And I knew what would happen because I had read the book.)

I have to also say that in addition to Sean Bean, who is fantastic and a bunch of other British actors who are less well known but amazing, the child actors they found are superb. The actress who plays Arya is fantastic. I'm also glad they went with an "unknown" to play Jon Snow because he just becomes the character for me.

Anyone else notice that "Little John" from "Robin Of Sherwood" was playing "Greatjon Umber"? It made me grin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Wan AAR



Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 405
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CD"]
Kristie(J) wrote:
However, I would read the books. They are crack. Complete utter crack so you hardly realise how thick they are once you get started.


That, I'll agree with. The one book I read, I think I shot through in three days or less. But then I think I consciously decided not to read the rest - sort of how I didn't read Harry Potter until they were all out, just so I wouldn't have to agonize in between. Except with the added darkness.
_________________
Jean AAR
Reviews Editor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maryskl



Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 352
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
Claire said
Quote:

Last nights episode. I can't say anything about it because its too huge but it was awesome. It's the next to the last epi of the season and all I can say is wow. I've never read the books so its all new to me. Anyone else see it?


Yes, and I agree it was phenomenal. It was incredibly faithful to the book yet managed be be even more dramatic and riveting IMHO. (And I knew what would happen because I had read the book.)

I have to also say that in addition to Sean Bean, who is fantastic and a bunch of other British actors who are less well known but amazing, the child actors they found are superb. The actress who plays Arya is fantastic. I'm also glad they went with an "unknown" to play Jon Snow because he just becomes the character for me.

Anyone else notice that "Little John" from "Robin Of Sherwood" was playing "Greatjon Umber"? It made me grin.


Arya and Bran were my favorite child characters from the book. The actress playing Arya is fantastic. We haven't seen as much of Bran, but he looks to do a great job as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KayWebbHarrison



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1241
Location: SE VA. USA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never read the books before the series began. I bought the first volume for my Kindle and have tried to only read through the parts that have been in the episodes that I watched--all of them in order so far. However, I have fallen way behind in reading; somehow I don't really enjoy the parts at the Wall; I hate the cold! I knew in general what would happen to several of the main characters, especially what happened in King's Landing at the end of last Sunday's episode, because I read the blurbs for the other four books.

Reading blockbuster books is much easier with an ereader! Martin's characters are almost all multifaceted and very human. I love the costumes and settings in the HBO series. Since I saw the film before I read the book, I imagine everything that I read as I saw it on the program. I don't know if I will go on with the series at all, but I doubt if I will begin the second book right after I finish the first one. There ARE lots of ICK factors.

Kay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
melann



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean Wan AAR wrote:

But then I think I consciously decided not to read the rest - sort of how I didn't read Harry Potter until they were all out, just so I wouldn't have to agonize in between.


Same here, only I've never read the first book. I went out and purchased the first four after hearing about them, funnily enough, on one of the Harry Potter forums while waiting for one of the last couple of HP books to come out. I knew the Martin series wasn't finished, but I didn't realize that there were an increasing number of years between books. Luckily, made that discovery before beginning the first book and decided to wait on the whole series.

Waiting on Harry Potter just about did me in and I don't care to repeat the process if I can help it. I didn't count on the show for the Martin books, though. Now I'm wavering, because if I starte the show and like it, I know I won't be able to resist the books.

Darn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group