AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for AAR members in the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iluvarake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Question for AAR members in the UK Reply with quote

Can you tell me about the custom of taking grapes to people who are ill or in the hospital? Do you know when or why it originated? And why grapes in particular instead of other fruits?

Here in the states we tend to send flowers, I guess on the assumption it will cheer up the sickroom but when it comes right down to it that's just as arbitrary as grapes, huh?
MMcA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I just assumed it was a universal custom. Maybe hospital food is worse in the UK? You can bring flowers, but it's a bit of a faff with the nurses having to find vases and everything. And I've a vague feeling that there's something about having them on the wards at night...
I'd guess grapes both because they're a bit of a luxury, and because they're more practical than a lot of other sorts of fruits - no peeling or sticky fingers - but I don't actually know. Be interesting if someone does. I tend to bring people reading material...
Elaine S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens, I went to visit a sick friend in hospital on Sunday and, yes, there were the ubiquitous grapes. I don't actually know the reason for grapes in particular but in thinking about it, grapes (assuming seedless variety) have no peel or stone or core to dispose of and are not big enough to require more than popping them in your mouth. Also they are full of liquid which would be considered a boon. People don't take flowers to hospital patients as these days they are frowned on because of the inevitable need to maintain and dispose of them not to mention the fact that in a shared room/ward, someone may have an allergy. I'll be interested to see if anyone else knows the reason for this custom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: