AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And the beat goes on...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: And the beat goes on... Reply with quote

Kobo v.3 and Nook v.2 are coming out in time for Father's Day, and (drumroll) they're B&W, E-ink touchscreens.

Random thoughts, on a very cursory glance:

- They beat the hell out of the Sony touchscreen models, which are now at least a year old, if not two.
- Nook v.2 has an odd shape. Why is it so square?
- Nook v.2 is also claiming a 2-month single-charge battery life. Are they for real?
- The Kobo home button looks like a pain in the butt.
- Kobo are providing "reading stats", pages read, genres liked, and so on. Pointless, but fun.
- Will Amazon jump on the bandwagon?
- I still like my Nook Color.

Thoughts?

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?PID=35699
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was to rush out and preorder the new nook but I can't really justify the expense since my old one works just fine. It is an odd square shape but I prefer it over the elongated kindle with the keyboard. Fingerprints are a concern.

I also like the kobo but I don't think it has the pearl e-ink?

I can't do the color no matter who carries one due to eyestrain reading on a backlit screen. I tried in store and just that little bit of time with it was irritating to my eyes, all in what you're used to maybe.

Linda
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I love that all the e-reader manufacturers keep improving their products and putting out new versions.

I have a Kindle but I always have my eye on the latest and the greatest e-readers. If I hadn't had an ipad I probably would have bought a color Nook when it came out.

I think the competition keeps the manufacturers from getting complaisant and has really helped encourage the gradual price drops we have seen in the past couple of years.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I caved and purchased the Nook 2 and I must say it's very nice! It's super light weight and has some user interactive features that give it that extra touch.

Linda
Tacilija

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va, thank you Smile I have a nook, too - the first one and am very happy with it. I was a bit disappointed when they came out with Nook Color, because it seemed to be a an iPad wannabe and it didn't tempt me in the least.

But nook 2 is calling to me something fierce LOL! When I first got my nook it took me a while to get used to idea that only the bottom screen is touch screen, so having the whole thing be a touch screen is a huge bonus. And a battery that lasts for 2 months...wooohooo Smile If it's true, of course...
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Well I caved and purchased the Nook 2 and I must say it's very nice! It's super light weight and has some user interactive features that give it that extra touch.

Linda

Oh, cool! Do you find the squareness odd? Is the screen responsive?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean Wan AAR wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Linda

Oh, cool! Do you find the squareness odd? Is the screen responsive?

No, actually I got used to it after a few mins. The screen is the same size as on the previous Nook and the Kindle, just minus the extra stuff at the bottom. The bezel isn't as thick as it looks, actually it's about the same size and the new Nook is so comfortable to hold.

There's a really good review here with lots of pics -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N2E-My-Review-After-a-Few-Hours-of-Use/m-p/1056412/message-uid/1056412#U1056412

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a review with a video -

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-touch.html

Linda
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if you can take notes on the touch screen (hand written or highlights) with the Nook touch. That's one of my favorite features with the Sony.

I want to get my aunt an ereader and was leaning toward the Kindle for it's simplicity of use, but thought I'd investigate the new Nook and Kobo before making a final decision. None of the reviews I've read on the Nook mention its note taking features.

(Sorry, haven't been able to watch the video review posted above.)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
I'm curious if you can take notes on the touch screen (hand written or highlights) with the Nook touch. That's one of my favorite features with the Sony.

I want to get my aunt an ereader and was leaning toward the Kindle for it's simplicity of use, but thought I'd investigate the new Nook and Kobo before making a final decision. None of the reviews I've read on the Nook mention its note taking features.

(Sorry, haven't been able to watch the video review posted above.)

I haven't done it myself but according to the Nook guide you can highlight and add notes.

Like I did when I bought my first Nook, I again purchased a Kindle so I could compare the two. I got the Kindle from Best Buy and the Nook from B&N and had them side by side for a couple days, the Nook won out for ease of use and comfort to hold. If it's at all possible I highly recommend getting your hands on both before making a final decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: