AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So You Think You Can Dance?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: So You Think You Can Dance? Reply with quote

Does anyone watch this show? We've been hooked from season two.

Last night were the first auditions from Atlanta and San Fransisco. I haven't seen anyone who I was like "WOW." A lot of the people they sent through I thought they were going to hammer on--I can usually spot people they will like, so maybe my radar is broken or something!

I believe Alex Wong is coming back after having to leave last season due to injury and I can't wait to see him again.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hooked on the show since season 2 as well.

I've read that Alex is going to come back as well. I've also read that they're going to have a top 20, and then when it gets down to 10 have "all stars" as their partners like last year. I haven't seen who the all stars might be, but I assume they're people from past seasons.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a fan since the beginning of Season 1! I recorded Thursday's show and watched it Fri morning. So far, so good. I like the way the producers keep adjusting the competition to make it fairer for the contestants--like partnering with "All Stars" instead of competitors. I'm a bit over the cutesy ploys the judges use to let entrants know if they are going on to Vegas, etc. I'm glad they dropped the two seasons a year idea. SYTYCD is a wonderful summer break.

Kay
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, at first I was really excited the year they did two seasons, but just didn't feel that it worked. yes, it's a wonderful summer show.

I also agree that I'm tired of the ploys they're using tricking the dancers into thinking they're going to choreography when they're getting the ticket. Once, funny. Over and over, tiring.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do watch but don't pay that much attention to the audition eps, I get interested when the final contestants are chosen!

Linda
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching auditions--I'm the same way with Idol. My favorite part is Vegas week where they break them into groups and a lot of them just self destruct. Mean of me, I know.

Anyway, good show tonight and I loved the broadway dancer--hope he does well in Vegas. The giant krumper guy was very interesting but scary. I also loved the glimpse of the ballroom dancer with the red flowing outfit that was doing all the crazy lifts--hope we see more of her.

I guess next week is the last week of auditions then on to Vegas!
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE this show - simply adore it. I've been trying to figure out what sets it above all other reality shows for me and I think I have some of it figured out. The joy of dancing comes shining through so clearly in so many of these dancers. You can tell it's not so much the lure of fame and fortune as unlike say American Idol, they are never going to be rich and well known like Carrie Underwood for example.

It strikes me that the real lure for so many of these dancers is the opportunity to learn more; to expand their experience from say hip hop to include jazz or salsa or whatever different type they pick to learn.

Unlike Dancing With the Stars where the stars have a life outside of dancing, for those who sign up for SYTYCD, dancing IS their life, and their love of that life shows, whether it be the hard hitting krumper from last night with the very fine six pack *wicked grin* or the Irish Step dancer who just seemed to fly across the stage - they gave me goose bumps watching them.

That's what sets this show above the rest for me - the Love.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we heard if Alex is going to come back this year?

Linda
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this from an interview with Mary Murphy a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
Q: Finally, one of the great tragedies of last season was Alex Wong’s injury. Will Alex return this year?
He was not able to return. He is doing extremely well and I don’t think it’s all over. He is back in training. I don’t believe he was [medically] cleared. We didn’t see him in Las Vegas. I have seen him during this year and he is in training and doing very well. But wherever I go all over the United States, he is in everybody’s hearts for sure. I think people will always be interested in what is going on with Alex Wong and we’re definitely going to follow up on him.

If it's true, I'm very sad.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
I just found this from an interview with Mary Murphy a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
Q: Finally, one of the great tragedies of last season was Alex Wong’s injury. Will Alex return this year?
He was not able to return. He is doing extremely well and I don’t think it’s all over. He is back in training. I don’t believe he was [medically] cleared. We didn’t see him in Las Vegas. I have seen him during this year and he is in training and doing very well. But wherever I go all over the United States, he is in everybody’s hearts for sure. I think people will always be interested in what is going on with Alex Wong and we’re definitely going to follow up on him.

If it's true, I'm very sad.

Well pooh!

Linda
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's too bad about Alex. Thanks for the info.

Kristie, I think you're right about the love. And it's not just the dancers, but most of the judges as well. And yes, that Irish step dancer was fantastic! I couldn't believe how quickly she moved, and how much of the stage she covered.
Bubbi59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: I am a Fan Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here and when I saw this post had to jump in and agree--I have been a fan since the start.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I am a Fan Reply with quote

Bubbi59 wrote:
Hi, I am new here and when I saw this post had to jump in and agree--I have been a fan since the start.

Welcome! Glad to have you here.

I personally can't wait for this coming week. I always enjoy Las Vegas week of SYTYCD.
merryweather

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the changes they made for the upcoming season--I'm glad they kept 20 dancers instead of ten--that was just a super harsh cut last season. And I liked how they will introduce the all-stars once they pare down to ten--I did enjoy seeing the all-stars last season but I felt they were overshadowing the newer dancers.

I also liked how they introduced the dancers and then had them do a number. I loved all the hip-hop boys-and the TAPPERS! Hope they stick around for a while. Haven't picked an overall favorite, but I do like the Broadway guy Jess and the short haired contemporary gal Melanie.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been hinted at in an interview with Alex that he may be one of the all stars, or may choreograph a number!

So far this looks like the most talented bunch yet.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: