AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tablet PC in lieu of ereader?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desiderata

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Tablet PC in lieu of ereader? Reply with quote

My first generation kindle is dying. I'm thinking of replacing it with a tablet pc instead of a dedicated ereader so that I can read more formats on it. I also like the idea of a backlight. Has anyone gone this route already? Any thoughts?
library addict

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it, but I wanted an e-Ink screen to reduce eyestrain.

Another major factor is size. My Sony fits in my purse, but I don't think a tablet would.

Since a tablet has internet capabilities, will you spend your time browing the web rather than reading? May not be a big deal, but is something you might wish to consider.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a laptop I haven't given any serious consideration to tablets. I can't read for long periods of time on backlist screens though, the e-ink screens on ereaders are so gentle on the eyes, no way would I want to trade for a backlit screen.

Linda
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:

Another major factor is size. My Sony fits in my purse, but I don't think a tablet would.

If size is the issue, the iPad does fit in a fairly small purse. I haven't bought an ereader yet, but I did go to the Apple store to check out the iPad and it fit easily into my purse.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original iPad that fits easily in my purse despite the fact that I had to have a really bulky case for it. I don't have a problem being on the internet all the time because I don't have the G3 so I have to be somewhere with free wireless. It also comes in handy during staff meetings because it's a lot less obtrusive than opening up a computer and I can still claim to be taking notes on it. And now that I can borrow library books on itů
PeggyL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have happily owned a Samsung Galaxy Tab since January this year. I don't suppose the model is as popular as the iPad in the USA. But personally, this 7-inch gadget fits into even my smaller purses - now I go everywhere with it. It could be a drawback to those who are strictly looking for an e-reader because of the Tab's nature (computer-and-mobile phone-in-one) as the other functions might be "distracting" - browsing the Internet, playing Angry Birds, using the GPS, and teleconferencing...
Rosario

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the other issue might be battery life. Are tables a bit like smartphones in that sense?
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iPad is good for 10 hours on a charge, so yes long flights are difficult, but otherwise I have no problem.
PWNN

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life in general is less but how much depends on the tablet just as it does with e-ink. E-ink measure reading time in days and weeks but if you look at the fine print it's usually predicated on 1-2 hours a day.

Ipad, Galaxy, Xoom, Nook Color will get you usually 8-10 hours. But cheaper sub $150 brands often yield 3-4 hours.

Not all tablets out of the box read all formats either. Nook Color needs to be rooted (very easy and can be done via sd card) to read Kindle (for obvious reasons) and others like even the inexpensive Coby supposedly can require work arounds. There's also the issue with Ipad and outside reader apps that may or may not come to a head with the June 30th deadline.

Whether you can read for long periods on an LCD is quite personal. I like e-ink but read for years on an LCD with no issues and still do for work. Not all screens are of the same quality so that's something to look for (Nook Color is IPS like Ipad but actually has better resolution). With the right software or app you can also change backgrounds and texts to more soothing colors and fonts. It really helps to play around with them in person.
sssspro

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've avoided going the tablet route because of battery life.

I have now owned 4 different readers over the last 8 years, starting before there ever was such a thing as a dedicated ereader:

1) Palm Tungsten E

2) Tungsten 2E

3) Sony Reader

4) Pocketbook

The first two were back lit and the battery life went from 8 hours to about 2 in a little over a year. I loved reading the back lit screen, but it got to the point that I had to read with it either plugged in or attached to a battery back up, and neither option appealed to me.

I love the e-ink e readers and I can get over 3 - 4 weeks on my Pocketbook. I tend to read at least 2-3 hours a day.

I have flirted with the new tablets, but hate the idea of charging every day or two and like my Palms...having to charge every day or few hours as the device gets older does not appeal.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a first generation ipad that I have used as an e-reader since it first came out over a year ago. Even though I have a Kindle also I find I use the ipad almost exclusively for reading.

I love being able to use the free Kindle for ipad app for my Kindle books and the free Bluefire App to read library books.

I also love not having to use a reading light at night and the backlit screen never bothers my eyes.

I think for what one pays for a tablet you get so much more out of it, email, web, picture storage etc.

I find my ipad to be no problem size and weight wise and the new ones are significantly lighter (and faster) according to what I've heard.

The battery life is also improved.

Another good bet seems to be the Nook color. A lot of people love it and many have "rooted" it so they also use it like a tablet.
desiderata

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I actually looked at the Nook Color and thought I would buy it if I could get a Kindle app for it and still read my kindle library. I'm not a techie, and don't really understand rooting. Has anyone here successfully adapted a Nook Color to read their kindle books? Does it work well and are they formatted the same?

I am also looking at the Samsung Galaxy (the Ipad is a bit too expensive for me right now) and it does look nice. My main use for it would be an ereader as I already have a smartphone and don't need 3G access for email, etc.
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've rooted your Nook it performs like any other tablet - you just sideload or download your Kindle app on to it and it downloads, opens and reads the books similar to how they open and read on your PC. Nothing is changed in the formatting.

I haven't rooted a Nook Color though I have rooted a Nook e-ink (for library organization) and that was pretty painless once I found the right software. And the Color unlike some of the e-ink models is supposedly unbrickable - you can't screw up anything so bad you can't undo it by restoring the stock program that came with it.

Nook Color has been a pet project for the modder/hacker community so there are tons of updates and rooting methods as well as videos of doing it on Youtube to choose from - some rather daunting but others comparatively simple.

The easiest and no frills and least experimental seems to be the one on NookDevs which takes you step by step and provides links to what tools you'll need and what you need to download. (basically a fast enough sd card and a free Windows program to make an image on the card with the free new software) Though they haven't uploaded a package for the latest Nook software version that B&N implemented last month.

http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

If you have any questions Mobile Reads is a nice community to ask or search since it caters a lot to us non-techies.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231
desiderata

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I really just want to read on a backlit device and not be limited by ebook format, so for the money the Nook Color is a good choice. I'll wait until the little hackers devise a way to root the current software and then take the plunge.

I think B&N would be smart to allow the Kindle app on the Nook Color. This would capture all the non-techie people like me who want to move away from a kindle but don't want to lose access to their kindle library.
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link on the B&N forums

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

It's a supposedly stable version to root your Nook by just loading a SD card with the appropriate software and not altering the original programs on the Color Nook. This way it's rooted if the card is in and un-rooted with it out because the Nook boots from the card first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: