AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mmm! Maybe it was depression all along?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Mmm! Maybe it was depression all along? Reply with quote

Maybe there's a quirky sort of explanation for the endemic occurrence of secret baby stories that the romance reading community hasn't considered. In today's Guardian, an article suggests that non-use of condoms during intercourse would ameliorate depression amongst the ladies.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term for that is stupidity, not depression. Smile

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that secret baby books to me have always been about daddy issues. Have you ever noticed how much of that is found in romance novels? Mary Balogh has some novels that have made me want to smack the heroine senseless because of her unnatural attachment to a father that beats her or abuses her in some way. And how many women in the early novels were sold to some delinquent to pay off daddy's debts etc.?

So to me the secret baby deals with daddy leaving mommy and baby and then coming back and being the daddy and husband he should have been all along. Given our national divorce rate, it makes some sense for this to be a fantasy.

The secret part comes in because he can't have chosen to abandon them. That would be like making a hero out of a dead beat dad - he must be the kind of guy that would stick with them but wasn't given the chance.

maggie b.
dick

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, of course. I just thought the entire idea was so slightly weird, I'd make it even quirkier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: