I’ve read some EXCELLENT books lately! How about you?

I have read several truly superb books recently–being on crutches has given me more time to read and I’ve picked, in general, a bunch of winners.

The best book I’ve read lately is Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr of All The Light We Cannot See fame. While different in scope than the Pulitzer Prizer winner, Cloud Cuckoo Land is a page turner full of fascinating facts–it turns out the Fall of Constantinople is riveting to read about–that left me feeling remarkably hopeful about humanity and our poor beleaguered planet. The novel braids together four different stories, one set in the 15th century, one set during the Korean War, one set in our times, and one set 150 years in the future. Doerr’s characters are palpable and his sinuous plot entrancing. It’s a book that, as soon as I finished it, I bought copies for my sister and a close friend just so I could have others to talk to about its prose. I’ve read 70 plus books this year and this one is, thus far, the very best.

I also loved Prairie Fires, The Night She Disappeared, and Pachinko all of which I’ve mentioned here before. And, thanks to recommendations from AAR readers, I read all the Rockton novels which I thought were great fun and am now, after having read and loved the Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter, am reading its predecessor, the Grant County series which, I must say, I like but don’t thus far love–Slaughter’s tendency to torture, literally, her female characters is overly and unpleasantly done although I do love her characters.

How about you? What are you reading? And remember to tell us title and author! Anything you love? And, happy hump day!

Subscribe
Notify of

38 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments