AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Riding on PBS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BabyBorge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: South Riding on PBS Reply with quote

Is anyone watching this series? I've been looking forward to it since I saw the Masterpiece schedule for this year. It's based on a book by Winifred Holtby and is adapted for tv by the great Andrew Davies. It stars Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House), David Morrisey and Penelope Wilton. It's part romance, part social commentary about post WWI Britain and how the "2 million surplus" women were coping in the aftermath of the war, depression, and the general changing times. The LA Times gave it a mix review, but I like what I've seen so far from ep. 1. The acting is superb and although I've never read the book I thought the script pretty good.
kim76

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching it and I did enjoy the first episode, partly because I love the two leads. David Morrissey always reminds me of a younger Liam Neeson (wouldn't be great to see them play brothers in something). Also nice to see Peter Firth in a role other than his excellent Harry Pearce on MI-5.

As for the actual show, I'm enjoying the feminism aspects and the look at the inter-war period in Britain. Parts of it remind me of Anne of Green Gables for some reason (I think it's just when I think schoolrooms and schoolteachers in this period I think of Anne).

Looking forward to seeing how the romance progresses (David M. can bring the smolder!).

Overall, this Masterpiece Classic season has been really good. I don't think anything can top Downtown Abbey though. I was also surprised at how much I liked the new Upstairs Downstairs (it had a couple of great moments). But what I couldn't get over was why they chose to have Blake Ritson as George VI not have a stammer?
Elaine S

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT

I've seen it and was sooooooooo disappointed at the ending. Definitely not an HEA! I found the whole thing rather depressing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: