AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Idol 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutterconqueror wrote:
Quote:

For any watching last night did you notice that Steven and Jennifer loved all the performances except one

That crossed my mind, too, Xina, but then I wondered if they didn't want to be too rough on them, since it's the first live show. This year seems way harder than last. For example, they had that extra auditon in Vegas covering Beatles tunes. And that guy, and his entourage, that critiqued them was just brutal. Also, aren't they on the bigger stage, now? Last year the top 24 was on a much smaller, less intimidating arena. And this stage was for the top 12.

Right now it seems there are already one or two who could have successful recording careers

I noticed the same thing last night and even Randy commented on it a bit, saying that he thought this was going to happen a lot this season...him disagreeing with Steven and Jennifer. I'm thinking that they are taking another approach and letting the voting public weed out the ones that are not very good. A few of the girls last night sounded pretty bad, but Steven and Jennifer gushed all over them. Jennifer commented on one of them saying that she had goose bumps. I thought...really? Maybe you are coming down with the flu or something because it wasn't that good! Smile There were 3 girls that were great though and I can't remember their names at the moment. Hopefully, they will continue to do well.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were only two girls who really stood out for me last night. I'm terrible with names too but the last girl who sang Stand By Me did great I thought. And the young blond girl who sang the country song also did quite well.
I figured after the first singer who made me wince but both Steven and Jennifer raved over that there would some differences of opinion between them and me *g*.
LizE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really disappointed in the results show. Was anyone else? It started out ok with the announcement of the voting results. A little draggy and overdramatic and some of my favs didn't make it, but I'm used to all that.

Then they did the wild card thing.

First, I couldn't believe that Jordan didn't get a wild card spot. In the performances, the other contestants gave it their best shot and the voters simply said no, thanks. But Jordan blew it with a terrible song choice. Every one of the judges pointed out how talented he is, and agreed that the choice of song was his ONLY problem. Jordan himself recognized his mistake and just wanted one more chance. I honestly thought he was a shoe-in for a spot and was shocked when he didn't get one.

And then came the performances.

I think Naima is very talented and beautiful, but she's not consistent and her wild card, sing-for-your-life performance just wasn't good. In fact, I thought most of them were pretty bad and sadly desperate. Instead of actually singing--as in attempting to convey a song to the audience--each singer seemed completely focused on him or herself and the individual notes they could hit. The result was not enjoyable. The only one who actually sang--and sang beautifully, IMO--was Robby Rosen. When the results were announced, I was totally disgusted that his performance didn't win him a place. It really seemed the judges had their minds made up before the contestants sang--for example, it's pretty clear that Steven does NOT want Naima to be cut. I'm all for this new, nicer American Idol and it's cool for judges to have faith in the contestants, but it's really not ok to play favorites, which seemed to me what they were doing. Maybe this is why in the past, the judges rarely got involved once the public started voting. I don't think it was a good idea this time, either.

There are still enough contestants I like to keep me tuning in, but I've lost a lot of my respect for the judges.

Edited: Went back and watched Naima again and her performance was better than I remembered. A few wince-worthy moments but some really beautiful parts as well.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that we are into the top 13, does anyone have any favourites? Is there anyone you don't like?

I like James Durbin - and for a strange romance book kind of way. According to the earlier shows he has Aspergers and so did Ian MacKenzie and I really loved that show. Plus take away that rather odd reason, I like a young guy who can sing the Beatles and/or Paul McCartney.

I don't really care for Jacob Lusk. He's got a good voice and I think he'll go a long way, but he's just too DRAMATIC for me. And this coming from someone my sisters call The (quote) Draaaamaaa (quote) Queen. But really, there was one part that went on and on and on and on last night and I could help but think, "enough! Stop it!"

I really like Casey Abrams. I think he's really got it going on.

I was torn over Pia Toscano. She blew me away with her Pretenders song last week, and she sang the hell out of the song last night - but again, while I was watching I thought "enough!! Stop with the wailing"

But I think my favourite number was by Naima Adedapo. She may have been out of breath in a few places as Randy said, and a bit "ptichy" but boy was she fun to watch!!
LizE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like James, too, Kirstie(J), he's got a great voice and there's something very sweet about him. Wish he'd had a better performance last night--I didn't care for the song and thought he was, as Randy would say, just ok. But the judges liked it and I'm sure he'll be back, which is a Good Thing.

Unlike you, I am a HUGE Jacob Lusk fan. I always thought he was really talented and all, though gospel isn't really my thing, but last night's version of Alone blew me away. I can see where he might not be everyone's cup of tea but personally I think he's amazing and it makes me happy to hear him sing.

Casey seemed to be struggling last night with the Nirvana song, but I seriously doubt he's in danger. He's way too cool to get voted out for one misstep.

I also like Haley and think the judges are giving her weird feedback. I mean, they seem to hate every song she chooses, they tell her she needs to find herself or something, and then when she tries something new, they accuse her of being inconsistent. But I think she has a really nice voice that is unusual enough to set her apart. She might do different types of songs, but she always puts her own spin on them--which makes her consistent in my book. It's weird the way the judges seem to have taken 'agin' her.

I keep hoping Naima will get it together but last night she just wasn't hitting the notes--again. I find it painful to watch her try so very, very hard and be so off pitch while she's doing it. But apparently most of America doesn't agree, since she wasn't even in the bottom 3 last week. Maybe she'll be safe again this time. If nothing else, I hope she at least gets a modeling career out of this, she really is stunning.

Isn't it great how we can watch the same show and see such different things?
xina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the outcome of last night's show was a bit contrived. To use their only save for Casey was very silly. I'm not really enjoying the love fest this year, but I will continue to watch. I personally think that Casey should have been gone. It certainly is "kinder and gentler" this year.

Really enjoyed the mini birthday celebration for Steven. I notice they didn't announce his age. Smile
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watched the last five minutes or so - just enough to see Casey get the boot and then saved. I do like him though and was sorry and shocked to see him get the fewest votes. That being said, I think the whole show is phonier than a three-dollar bill and everything has pretty much been decided from the get go. But I do enjoy watching them sing.

I had to laugh the night before when so many said they grew up listening to Motown. Bull feathers I thought! They are way to young for Motown. I grew up listening to Motown and I'm in my 50's. My sons are about 1/2 a generation older than some of the contestants and doing the math and stuff - there is no way that many of them listened to it.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie, I grew up listening to classical music, but I assure you I was not around when the 1812 Overture was first performed! LOL! Laughing

Motown music is ubiquitous, and when they say they grew up with it, I think they probably meant their parents played it all the time, or it was always on the radio.

I thought it was the best performance week so far, and I have to say, I am so enjoying the judges this year! I do miss the few times when Simon was actually critical in a good way, giving deserved criticism, but the last two seasons it has felt like he was phoning it in, to me. I think Lopez is beginning to hit her stride in critiquing, and giving good advice. Steven is just fun!! Love it when he closes his eyes and grooves to the music. I thought Mark Anthony's advice was good for the contestants.

Go Jacob and Lauren and Pia!!

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
xina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you think of last night's Idol? I thought the Elton John songs went very well. Love his songs...have always been a huge fan.
My favorites...Casey (I usually don't like him) with Your Song. Scotty...he always does well. Paul..Rocket Man. Lauren..Candle In The Wind (such a lovely song written for Marilyn Monroe. I thought she did it well) And my favorite...Haley singing Benny and the Jets. I also liked James singing Saturday Night, but the piano set on fire was, well, a little much. Just stick to the singing please.
Not sure about Pia. Didn't like Stefano or Naima(ugh, the reggae thing was not good. I think she is beautiful though and she looks like a rock star, but I'm always disappointed with her singing.
And Jacob...I just can't warm up to him.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share some of yours, xina. My three are:

Casey (always has been from the start)
Durbin
Pia

Scotty is good, but limited in his selections because of the type of music he sings. Love his personality. Right now, my fav has to be Casey, with Pia, second and Durbin third. Anything can change as we go along. Good talent, though, all the way around.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I share some of yours, xina. My three are:

Casey (always has been from the start)
Durbin
Pia

Scotty is good, but limited in his selections because of the type of music he sings. Love his personality. Right now, my fav has to be Casey, with Pia, second and Durbin third. Anything can change as we go along. Good talent, though, all the way around.

I was going to ask you...who is Durbin? Smile But I looked it up...James? Yes, I like James too. Casey...this is the first time I have really liked him. My husband Loves Pia. LOL! He doesn't watch the full show, but makes a point to see her. He has watched it from the beginning...(back to Kelly Clarkson) and has most of the time, predicted the winner. It's funny, because he really is not all that into music at all. I'm on the fence with her. I agree, she has a good voice, but sometimes it seems a little screamy. As for Scotty, I'm not a country music fan, but he seems to be exactly what is popular in that genre of music. And they have really spiffed him up. He looks older and more polished.
LizE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any predictions for who is going home tonight?

If it were up to me, it would be Haley. The last couple of weeks have turned me from a fan to a . . . um, what's the opposite of fan? I honestly can't stand to listen to her now and thought her rendition of Take Another Little Piece of My Heart totally missed the point of the song. Rasping and growling is not the same as showing real emotion, and her perky rendition of what should be a gut-wrenching anthem was incredibly irritating.

I thought Stefano had his best performance last night and hope he isn't the one to go. Jacob messed up with his little, "if you don't like me, it's your fault" speech and I didn't think the song was great...but I still love him. Casey was really good, Pia was eh (I didn't think she got her song, either), and Scotty did well enough. Lauren could be a dark horse, Paul shouldn't have attempted Johnny Cash with his thin tenor voice but was still interesting. The night, IMHO, belonged to...

James with While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Absolutely beautiful.

So what do you think?

And do the rest of you miss Simon more and more with every passing week? Someone has to be the reality check and it's just not in Randy to do it.
Frosty13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizE, we are so on the same page. I've been a James Durbin fan from the beginning. His performance last night was beautiful.

Scotty bores me. I like country music, but not that brand of it. Haley totally missed the meat of the song. Pia was better, but if I were her I would never, ever again let Gwen Stefani within a mile of any of my clothes.

I really liked Casey at first, but now he's failing to impress. He's good; he's very good, but I couldn't close my eyes and recognize his voice. Paul MacDonald, yes, he has a very distinctive voice and he may make it, but he isn't my favorite.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you asked, I absolutely loved Casey last night. He is so original and his song renditions are never the same. I'm pulling for him all the way and have been from the get-go. The next one I love is James Durbin. Loved his song and the way he did it. Pia--she has the voice--no doubt about it. So there are my top three.

As for going home, Paul is the same week in and week out. Lauren and Stefano will not make it to the top, so they are possibilities. Jacob did his best job, but it may not be enough. I love Scotty, but more as a personality, even though he sounded good yesterday. He is still a one-track singer. Haley is on the fence with me, sometimes good, sometimes not.

And there you have my thoughts. We'll see what happens tonight.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that totally sucked! Pia did not deserve to go home. But that's the way it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: