AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Anyone Watching Downton Abbey?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BabyBorge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts about the season finale:

-I just don't understand Mary. She's such a complex character. One minute she'll say something absolutely true and profound and the next minute act like a complete shrew and bully.

-It broke my heart to see the Earl cry, that was a very poignant scene. That whole pregnancy thing threw me for a loop.

-I really like Maggie Smith's character. Even in the beginning when they made her appear to be the "villain" (and I'm only using the term loosely), she was funny, and real and was never truly mean.

-I love the downstairs folks, except for O'Brien and Thomas. They look out for each other and take care of one another. I especially love Anna's character. There are no attempts at pretension, what you see is what you get. I like how she just blurts out, "I love you, Mr. Bates" in the middle of a country road and then you see him getting on the horse cart (it's Romeo and Juliet, the dyslexic version).

-Poor Edith! *sigh*

-I like Lady Sybil, surprised Branson didn't get fired, and now wondering if there ever will be something going on between them next season.

It will be another year before we see a new season of DA. How come the good ones don't get as much episodes as the crappy ones that are on television right now? *sigh again*
Lizzie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the praise for this wonderful series. My husband ordered the DVD for me for my birthday. ( a little bird in the form of my four year old grandaughter told me.) I can't wait to watch all the episodes again.
My birthday is Monday (Feb 7) so not too far off.

Our PBS station ran each eposide several times during the week which was great.

I realize most of the young men will go off to the war in the second season and you wonder who will return.

I could have smacked Mary when she was so cruel to Matthew and so "wish-washy" giving him an answer to his purposal. I loved his line "don't play with me" before their kiss. And when he said "do you love me enough to spend the rest of your life with me." I have two grown daughters and don't believe they were ever that cruel to each otheras Edith and Mary.
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Just finished the season last night. Reply with quote

What a cliffhanger ending to the season! What if they had not gotten the green light to make the next season--I would be even more frustrated--as it is we have to wait a whole year to see what will happen next.

I think Mary and Edith both got what they deserved--they behaved so horribly to each other. I think Matthew had a lucky escape-- he would not be happy with Lady Mary unless she goes through some big changes and really appreciates Matthew for himself no matter the circumstance. Though I did feel very sorry for the older man (can't remember his name) who was paying his addresses to Edith before Mary sent him off humiliated.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (I put in the spoilers because some PBS stations just started this series last week).

I don't know if people like Thomas ever get their just desserts, until the end of their lives. By that, I mean that these people are like a kind of great animals, in their ability to sniff out danger to themselves and their ability to spot and take advantage of the weaknesses in others. They are the people who usually survive when others don't, but they are also are the people who end up in prison and lose jobs and marriages and alienate their kids because they are never as smart as some of the people around them. I know I'm contradicting myself here, but it depends on how smart and charming they are as individuals to avoid suffering because of the destruction they have sown. If they ARE very smart and agile, then they end up, like most sociopaths, isolated and alone (and usually poor) in their old age. I figure that Thomas is going into the medical corp because, as he said, it'll prevent him from being in the front lines, and like the Thénardiers in "Les Miserables," he figures he can steal (and I'm sure he will) from soldiers.

When O'Brien put out the soap for her mistress to fall on, I thought, "I wonder how often people are victims of people, and they don't even know it." I bet it's pretty often. Like you, I'll be interested to see if, without Thomas's influence, O'Brien will get better, or just continue, embittered and selfish.

Am I the only one who wondered at Mrs. Crawley's disappointment that her son did not marry Mary? Whyever would she want him to? A marriage between them would be like that of Hazel and James in "Upstairs, Downstairs": unhappy. (For those of you who are frustrated that Downton has ended, if you haven't seen "Upstairs, Downstairs," go get it. It's just as good!). I want him to marry Sybil.

As to Mary and Edith, Edith should never have written such a spiteful letter, plus, after seeing Mary's vengeance for years, she should have been more wary of crossing her, but she assumed that Mary would never find out about it. Foolish, foolish woman, who is governed by her own jealousy. Like Lizzie, I felt sorry for her beau, but on the other hand, he's a fool, as Mary realizes, and too unwilling to risk to get what he wants. Lizzie's calling him "wishy washy" is exactly right! You can understand why he didn't risk proposing and took Mary's comments as the truth, but it's a character flaw, and we all suffer for our character flaws. Except me. I'm perfect! (It's SUCH a burden. . . ).
PamelaM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (I put in the spoilers because some PBS stations just started this series last week).

Am I the only one who wondered at Mrs. Crawley's disappointment that her son did not marry Mary? Whyever would she want him to? A marriage between them would be like that of Hazel and James in "Upstairs, Downstairs": unhappy. (For those of you who are frustrated that Downton has ended, if you haven't seen "Upstairs, Downstairs," go get it. It's just as good!). I want him to marry Sybil.

For the character of Mrs. Crawley, never protrayed as a foolish women, this seemed out of character. Unlike the dowager countess, who I think still believes in the order of what should be, this was surprising to me too. Perhaps it was just clouded judgment of a loving mother who knows her son is in love with Mary? It would give her that human frailty characteristic that I think fits more into her character. At this point, I agree a marriage between Mary and Matthew would be a disaster. Luckily, Matthew is intelligent enough to have understood that too.

But...

Actually, I think Mary is redeemable. Fellowes wrote the character of Mary with too many contradictions. The maturation period of Mary's character I think is yet to come and I don't think it will be without some painful self-reflection in the turbulent war years ahead. Will she end up marrying Matthew? Only Julian Fellows knows at this point, but I am sure it will continue to make for a fascinating part of the story.

I love the character of Sybil but I don't picture her enjoying the role of future Countess of Grantham, unless Mattew enters politics and is an advocate for polical change connected strongly to human rights. Since his expertise is Corporation Law, at this point it doesn't seem likely, but I could be dead wrong. Edith, I think may sadly fare the worst in Season 2. I can't seem to find any redeeming qualities in her at this point. I can't help but think she will marry someone as equally clueless as that poor older viscount who almost offered for her in season 1and end up in an unhappy, aristocratic marriage of convenience.

Absolute pure speculation on my part, but the cliffhanging finale does make you wonder! Smile
iluvarake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzie wrote:

I could have smacked Mary when she was so cruel to Matthew and so "wish-washy" giving him an answer to his purposal. I loved his line "don't play with me" before their kiss. And when he said "do you love me enough to spend the rest of your life with me." I have two grown daughters and don't believe they were ever that cruel to each otheras Edith and Mary.

I know! Almost worse than what she was doing was that she thought HE was being unreasonable to expect her to commit!

It is so telling that she and Edith make hurting the other a priority even over their own happiness. Unlike any sister relationship I've ever heard of, though a friend of mine says she and her sister despised each other almost as dramatically. Makes me grateful for my sister for sure.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party but watched the dvd (from the library) which has the original UK version so there were 7 episodes in all.

Really really really enjoyed the series. Great characters, fun storylines, and OMG what a house, er, mansion.

Every time I saw Elizabeth McGovern do a scene with Maggie Smith, I expected her to crack up laughing. Ms. Smith is a hoot!
Ellen AAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very late to the party, but I just watched the DVD last night. Oh my!!! I still remember how much I loved Upstairs, Downstairs and this is even better. I love the Earl - such a decent, gentlemanly chap. And I want Thomas and O'Brien to come to the baddest of bad ends. Evil gits as they are. As for Maggie Smith - she is untouchable. I love her to pieces and want to be just like her when I am that age. Sigh - she wears the most wonderful hats!
jebe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even later to this party, but Downtown Abbey showed up on my Netflix cue and my son thought I'd enjoy it. He convinced me to try it, I'm up to episode 6. Lucky for me, too, as I was wallowing in a sea of boring summer TV fare.

Agree w/everyone's comments. I really love Bates, he's such a wonderful character. The whole show is so well done, from the acting to the costumes to the location. Just perfection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: