AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Idol 2011
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: American Idol 2011 Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this season's Idol show? I saw a tweet that there are a number of younger contestants in the finals, including some 15 years olds. I miss the days of David Cook and Daughtry. Are they gearing the show towards younger audiences?

Haven't heard any songs on the radio for a while by David Cook, Chris Allen, or Lee Dewyze. I had hopes for Crystal Bowersocks new album and didn't care for it.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying this season so far.

I opted out last season. I love Ellen DeGeneres... I think she's a really good person. But she sucked as a judge, and four was one judge too many. Also, I was sooo bloody sick of Simon, with his mugging, eye-rolling, smirking and ego-has-landed power trip. Sick. To. Death. Getting rid of him has had the double-good effect of robbing Ryan of his playmate. That was getting old, too, him and Ryan trading barbed 'who is gayer' jokes.

I'm refreshed and surprised by how much I like Steven Tyler, who I did not really have an opinion of before this show, and Jennifer Lopez. I like them both, and I feel like they have forced Randy 'Dawg' Jackson to freshen up his game. He looks younger and hipper this year.

Can I repeat? I'm sooo glad to be shot of Simon. He was getting too jaded to function.

So far the hopefuls have shown promise, but no one has blown me away.

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's still early in the season, I like Steven Tyler and I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that I actually like Jennifer Lopez on Idol. I agree with Donna though - too many younger contestants. I think they should have it so you have to be 18 to enter - like they do on SYTYCD. Anything younger and it just strikes me as too young. I think it's a rare 15-17 year old that has the maturity to handle what can happen with the fame.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the age frame; I think they're responding to the Bieber effect. But why not open it up to older contestants too??

xina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss Simon's disgusted looks. So far, Tyler and Lopez are too mamby-pamby for me in their critiques of the contestants. And Tyler is sometimes too creepy for me with the young and pretty contestants, although I do admire him as an artist, he just seems to be undressing many them with his eyes. Typical aging rock star I guess. Smile
I do love AI and will continue to watch. And yes, I agree...so many that are very, very young.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
I don't mind the age frame; I think they're responding to the Bieber effect. But why not open it up to older contestants too??

ROTFL!!! My point exactly *g*. The last thing the world needs is another Justin Bieber. Despite him coming from 'just down the road' so to speak, do you know how off putting it is to walk through Walmart and see Justin Bieber towells, Justin Bierber posters, Justin Bieber sheets!! *shuddering uncontrollably* If a Bieber-ite singer gets through, no one else stands a chance!! Laughing
Claire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Though it's still early in the season, I like Steven Tyler and I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that I actually like Jennifer Lopez on Idol. I agree with Donna though - too many younger contestants. I think they should have it so you have to be 18 to enter - like they do on SYTYCD. Anything younger and it just strikes me as too young. I think it's a rare 15-17 year old that has the maturity to handle what can happen with the fame.

kristie... I too am shocked at JLo. After all I'd read in the supermarket checkout aisle, I thought she'd be a total beyotch but I watched last night and was suprised at how nice she was to the contestants. Who knows, she may be a diva behind the scenes but not in front of the camera. Can you imagine how many of the contestants worship her and if she dissed them, how much that would hurt. Maybe there is a little Jenny-from-the-block still in her. Time will tell...

I'm getting a little tired of the weirdo contestants they put on. Its so awkward that I want to change the channel.. I can't stand to see people make themselves look like fools on national tv. There was something wrong with that girl last night who said Steven Tyler gave her a yes... something not right in her head. I wouldn't mind another "pants on the ground" guy though. My kids go around singing that a lot. Razz
merryweather

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just watch all the auditions and then loose interest when the actual show begins--don't know why. I like the drama of seeing regular people get up and sing and hear their back story. Then they get to Hollywood and get all cheesed up and start to look and sound like everyone else.

I am also shocked at how much I like Steven Tyler. I thought he was going to be either totally nuts, wild, or inarticulate, and perhaps a bit damaged in the brain-box. He's actually sweet and smart. He gives good feedback and he has a lot of compassion. So I'm surprised in a good way.

We know someone who made it into the final stages of auditions--before they actually made it in to sing for the 3 main judges--and they said that the people involved in the show really pump up the final potential contestants, saying stuff like "you wouldn't be here if we didn't think you could go all the way" and "you are so amazing--the best we have seen so far today!!" That explained to me how so many poor people would come in to sing for the main judges and believe they really were amazing and had a chance. That is pretty horrible to do to someone, imo!
Crying or Very sad
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
xina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching last night, I have to say that I am really enjoying Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez as judges. Especially Steven...loved him on the stage last night with the drums and as the focus of the song with that girl group. He really is a breath of fresh air for the show.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so enjoying this season... Steven Tyler is the bomb! He's the best thing to happen to AI since... well, I don't know.

xina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Lea Simpson wrote:
I'm so enjoying this season... Steven Tyler is the bomb! He's the best thing to happen to AI since... well, I don't know.

Yes...he rocks doesn't he? (He quite literally does rock. Smile )
I loved how the 3 of them hugged the contestants last night...the ones staying or going home. They certainly didn't do that with Simon there, or at least they didn't show it.
merryweather

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the group singing and will watch the final audition songs tonight (so much DVR to catch up with.) Boy, the drama with that young boy Jacee getting pushed out of the one group and taken up by the other...I don't remember getting so teary eyed over anything on TV in quite a while. It made me just love the red haired kid Brett who helped Jacee out even more--I hope that guy goes all the way.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
xina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merryweather wrote:
I just finished the group singing and will watch the final audition songs tonight (so much DVR to catch up with.) Boy, the drama with that young boy Jacee getting pushed out of the one group and taken up by the other...I don't remember getting so teary eyed over anything on TV in quite a while. It made me just love the red haired kid Brett who helped Jacee out even more--I hope that guy goes all the way.

Yes, that was sad. I think the guy that kicked him out (the one with the eye glasses collection) might regret that eventually. I can't see the voting audience rooting for him after that.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time this season I missed Simon. For any watching last night did you notice that Steven and Jennifer loved all the performances except one?? Is it just me or do they both have the same comments for everyone? The only one with any type of critique is Randy. I started thinking that they may be taking the easy way out and are waiting for the viewing public to weed out the less that perfectly perfect singers. I expected more from the two of them.
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For any watching last night did you notice that Steven and Jennifer loved all the performances except one

That crossed my mind, too, Xina, but then I wondered if they didn't want to be too rough on them, since it's the first live show. This year seems way harder than last. For example, they had that extra auditon in Vegas covering Beatles tunes. And that guy, and his entourage, that critiqued them was just brutal. Also, aren't they on the bigger stage, now? Last year the top 24 was on a much smaller, less intimidating arena. And this stage was for the top 12.

Right now it seems there are already one or two who could have successful recording careers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: