Featured here are romances dealing with addictions of various types: alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping. The heroes and heroines in these stories may be in the throes of addiction or in recovery.
List begun 06/03, updated 04/10
||European Historical Romances
||American Historical/Frontier Romances
- Rose of Rapture (1984) by Rebecca Brandewyne - Isabella Ashley Tremayne is addicted to poppy seed.
- Scoundrel's Kiss (2010) by Carrie Lofty - Ada is addicted to opium.
- Secret Thunder (1997) by Patricia Ryan - Luke de Perigueux is addicted to catnip.
- My Lord de Burgh (2000) by Deborah Simmons - HH-533 - Stephen de Burgh is an alcoholic.
- Dancing with Clara (1994) by Mary Balogh - Frederick Sullivan is addicted to alcohol, gambling, and prostitutes
- A Chance Encounter (1991) by Gail Buck - Lord Humphrey Dewesbury is an alcoholic.
- Reclaiming Lord Rockleigh (2001) by Nancy Butler - Lord Rockleigh Conniston abuses alcohol and
- Valentine's Change of Heart (2003) by Elisabeth Fairchild - Valentine Wharton is a recovering alcoholic.
- Coup de Grace (1996) by Emma Jensen - Rafael Marlowe is an alcoholic.
- Libby's London Merchant (1991) by Carla Kelly - Benedict Nesbitt, Duke of Knaresborough,
is an alcoholic.
- One Good Turn (2001) by Carla Kelly - Benedict Nesbitt, Duke of Knaresborough,
is a recovering alcoholic.
- Reforming Lord Ragsdale (1995) by Carla Kelly - Lord Ragsdale abuses alcohol.
- The Rake and the Reformer (1989) by Mary Jo Putney - Reginald Davenport is an alcoholic.
- Lady Elizabeth's Comet (1985) by Sheila Simonson - Thomas Conway, Earl of Clanross has a laudanum
European Historical Romances
- Midnight Angel (2003) by Julie Beard - Hugh Montgomery is addicted to opium.
- Lady Beware (2007) by Jo Beverley - Lord Darius Debenham is an opium addict still going through withdrawal.
- To Rescue a Rogue (2006) by Jo Beverley - Lord Darius Debenham is an opium addict undergoing witdrawal.
- Bliss (1995) by Judy Cuevas - Nardi de Saint Vallier abuses ether and other
- Starlit Surrender (1988) by Judy Cuevas - Adrian Hunt, Earl of Kewischester has a history
of alcohol and opium abuse.
- Checkmate (1975) by Dorothy Dunnett - Francis Crawford of Lymond is an opium addict.
- Vixen (1994) by Jane Feather - Sir Hugo Lattimer is an alcoholic.
- Addicted (2009) by Charlotte Featherstone - Lindsay Markham is addicted to opium.
- One Night of Sin (2005) by Gaelen Foley - Lord Alec Knight has a gambling addiction.
- Naughty or Nice (2004) by Melanie George - Lucien Kendall is addicted to opium.
- With Seduction in Mind (2009) by Laura Lee Guhrke - Sebastian Grant, Earl of Avermore, is a recovering drug addict.
- The Rake (1998) by Mary Jo Putney - Reginald Davenport is an alcoholic.
- His Secret Duchess (1997) by Gayle Wilson - Nick Stanton, Duke of Vail is a recovering opium
American Historical/Frontier Romances
- A Candle in the Dark (1993) by Megan
- Cain D'Alessandro is an alcoholic.
- A Light in the Darkness (1998) by
- Edward Greyson is an alcoholic.
- Nate (2002) by Lori Handeland
- Nate Lang is an alcoholic.
- Allie's Moon (2000) by Alexis
- Jefferson Hicks is an alcoholic.
- Darling Jack (1996) by Mary McBride
- Jack Hazard is an alcoholic.
- The Wives of Bowie Stone (1994) by
- Rosie Mulvehey is an alcoholic.
- Still Life with Murder (2003) by
- Will Hewitt is an opium fiend.
- My Name Is Nell (10/2003) by Laura Abbot - HSR-1162
- Nell Porter is a recovering alcoholic.
- Baby Love (1999) by Catherine Anderson
- Rafe Kendrick is an alcoholic.
- Embraced by Love (1995) by Suzanne
Brockmann - Josie Taylor is a workaholic.
- Force of Nature (2007) by Suzanne Brockmann - Robin Chadwick is an alcoholic.
- Frisco's Kid (1/1997) by Suzanne
Brockmann - Alan "Frisco" Francisco abuses alcohol.
- Heart Throb (1999) by Suzanne
Brockmann - Jericho Beaumont is an alcoholic.
- The Perfect Victim (2002) by Linda
Castillo - Randall Talbot is a borderline alcoholic.
- The Conspiracy (2001) by Jasmine
Cresswell - Verity Marlowe is an alcoholic.
- He Loves Lucy (2005) by Susan
Donovan - Lucy Cummingham is addicted to food.
- But That Was Yesterday (10/1988) by
Kathleen Eagle - SIM-257 - Sage Parker is a recovering alcoholic.
- Reason to Believe (1995) by Kathleen Eagle - Ben Pipestone is an alcoholic.
- What the Heart Knows (1999) by Kathleen Eagle - Helen Ketterling is a recovering gambling addict.
- One Love (1999) by Lynn Emery
- Lanessa Thomas is a recovering alcoholic.
- I Shocked the Sheriff (5/1990) by
Mara Fox - HT-982 - Roxy Adams is an alcoholic.
- Simply Irresistible (1998) by Rachel
Gibson - John "The Wall" Kowalsky is a recovering alcoholic.
- Echoes (2004) by Erin Grady
- Grant Weston is a recovering alcoholic.
- Broken Blossom (8/1990) by Jennifer
Greene - SIM-345
- Kelsey Whitfield is an alcoholic.
- The Still of Night (2003) by Kristen
- Morgan Spencer is a functional alcoholic.
- Seize the Day (1/1992) by Janice Kay
Johnson - HSR-483
- Nick Braden is a recovering alcoholic, and Ellen
Patterson is from a family of alcoholics.
- Guilty Secrets (2004) by Virginia
- Joe Reilly is a morphine addict.
- Do-Over (11/2003) by Dorien Kelly -
- Cara Adams is a workaholic.
- The Wilder Shores of Love (10/1988)
by Madeleine Ker - HP-1114
- Margot Prescott is a drug addict.
- Rachel's Holiday (2000) by Marian
- Rachel Walsh is a drug addict and alcholic.
- The Virgin Beauty (10/2000) by
Claire King - SIM-1038
- Frank Cash, secondary character, is a drug
- Shopaholic series (2001 - )
by Sophie Kinsella
- Rebecca Bloomwood is a shopaholic.
- The Undomestic Goddess (2005) by Sophie Kinsella
- Samantha Sweeting is a workaholic.
- Fallen from Grace (2003) by Laura Leone - Ryan Kinsmore is a gigolo trying to get out.
- Undeniable (8/2004) by Julie
Elizabeth Leto - HBZ-146 - Danielle Stone is a recovering drug addict.
- Cassidy's Charm (10/2001) by Diann Mills - HSNG-441 - Cassidy Frazier is a recovering drug addict.
- The Accidental Heiress (2/1998) by
Lauren Nichols - SIM-840
- Ross Dalton, secondary character, has a
- Father To Be (1999) by Marilyn
- J.D. Grayson is a recovering alcoholic.
- Full Circle (9/1989) by Paula Detmer
Riggs - SIM-303
- Trevor Markus is a recovering drug addict.
- Taming the Night (1999) by Paula
- Summer Laurence is a recovering drug addict.
- Black Rose (2005) by Nora Roberts
- Mitch Carnegie is a recovering alcoholic.
- Back in Kansas (5/2001) by Deborah
Salonen - HSR-986
- Robert "Bo" Lester is a recovering alcoholic.
- A Piece of Heaven (2003) by Barbara Samuel - Luna McGraw is a recovering alcoholic.
- A Risk Worth Taking (8/1983) by
Kathleen Gilles Seidel - HAR-17
- Jess Butler is addicted to pills.
- When Love Isn't Enough (11/1994) by
Kathleen Gilles Seidel - HAR-80
- Wiley Hunt is a workaholic.
- Low Country (1998) by Anne Rivers
Siddons - Caroline Venable is an alcoholic.
- The Crossroads Cafe (2006) by Deborah Smith - Thomas Mitternich is an alcoholic.
- The Hellion (1984) by LaVyrle
Spencer - Tommy Lee Gentry is an alcoholic.
- Coyote Dream (2004) by Jessica Davis
- Ben Lonefeather is a recovering alcoholic.
- Glass Houses (9/1989) by Anne Stuart
- Laura de Kelsey Winston is a workaholic.
- Darkling, I Listen (2001) by
- Brandon Carlyle is a recovering alcoholic.
- Come Morning (1998) by Pat Warren
- Jeremy Slade is an alcoholic.
- Last Summer (1992) by Theresa Weir
- Johnnie Irish is a drug addict and alcoholic.
- Their Forever Love (11/2000) by Kate
Welsh - LI-120
- Jim Dillon is a recovering alcoholic.
- The Quantum Rose (1999) by Catherine
- Havryl Lionstar is an alcoholic.
- Secret of the Wolf (2001) by Susan
- Quentin Forster is an alcoholic.
- The Time Traveler's Wife (2003) by
- Henry DeTamble is an alcoholic.
- The Dream Stone (1998) by Glenna
- Llynya is a lavender chewer.
- Lover Enshrined (2008) by J.R. Ward - Phury is addicted to Red Smoke.
This list is currently closed for submissions.